Our goal at Landers and Marks OD Consulting is to educate individuals on the processes of organization development (OD) in order to create change leaders. However, sometimes it is valuable to share information and shed light on concepts not directly related to OD but work in general: Motivation.
Personally, I believe that motivation comes from within; a person must make the decision to take action. Regardless of the level of stimulation in the eternal world (i.e. supportive family and friends.) Even with the best of intentions, it can become easy to slow down. This is especially true when opportunities lessen. This becomes cyclic
Over time we all come up without own systems and tricks to help us stay motivated. Effectively, these are my tips on staying motivated.
- Focus: there are many WONDERFUL distractions available today. Simplify your life, focus on what’s important to you.
- If you aren’t getting the results you want, it may be because the gap between where you are and where you want to be is too big: Set up some intermediate goals in between your main objective and where you are currently.
- If you are in motion and things are going well, keep doing the little things: Adaptability and responsiveness are easier to changer when the changes are smaller. Keep on keeping on.
- If you are in a lull and frustrated by a lack of motion, start taking actions: Be happy with the small steps in the right direction, set small attainable goals.
- Getting started it the difficult part. Find someone whom you trust and respect and ask them to be your ‘Checker’: Ask someone to check your progress on a given task, be open to sharing all and any results achieved when asked!
I wish you every success. I’d also like to know how this works for you.